Help your pets stay cool in the Summer Heat – try “Dogsicles”!
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1/2 lb chicken breast, thawed
- 3 oz (for small dogs) or 5 oz (for larger dogs) paper Dixie cups
- Put the chicken broth and chicken in a large pot.
- Boil until chicken is cooked through and soft. About 20 minutes. Remove pan from heat and carefully remove chicken breast.
- Cut or shred the meat into very small pieces or use a food processor to chop.
- Return the chicken and any juices to the pot. Allow the broth to cool completely.
- Arrange paper cups in a shallow pan that will fit into your freezer. Carefully spoon or pour the chicken mix into the cups filling each cup about 3/4 full. Fill just 1/2 full for very small dogs.
- Carefully place the tray in the freezer and allow to freeze completely overnight.
- To serve, remove from freezer and peel off the paper cup. Preferably, offer it to your dog outside to minimize any mess. Put the dogsicle into your dog’s bowl.
Note: Do not use regular ice cube trays except for very small dogs. You can buy commercial trays in the shape of dog bones too. If your dog likes these dogsicles, try inventing more flavors of your own using ingredients that is a treat for your pet. Remember that this is a treat, not a regular diet.
For more information about animal diets, feel free to contact our Rexburg Animal Hospital today!